Sunday, January 18, 2009





School has been going well especially since I have only been to a total of 3 1/2 classes. It was  holiday last thursday and I don't have classes on friday. Then this week it was a holiday (Pongal-harvest festival) from wednesday through friday. So I have have a lot of downtime. I have been reading a lot but maybe a little too much because I can't afford to buy a new book every 3 days. I need to find a good used book store nearby. Also I've taken up yoga classes monday through friday which has been good/interesting. Men and women are on different sides of the room and everyone is at their own pace. So the teacher just walks around and teaches each person individually. Kind of awkward, especially since I'm a little rusty and it is just me and two other men and two 10 year old boys who just kind of jump around. But the timing will be different next week since it isn't Pongal anymore so I may be with other people. Also on wednesday Kara, Tyson, and I (the two other exchange students at Madras) went to Dakshina Chitra - a little craft village/folk museum south of Chennai which was good. There was lots of costume and dancing for Pongal. I was disappointed because my camera's memory card broke somehow and wouldn't let me take pictures. I also bought a coconut that they chop open for you and stick a straw inside which was exciting for a minute but the liquid was actually really warm and not particularly tasty. Then we headed to Mamallapuram (Mahabalipuram) where there is a beach and hindu shore temple. There were also all these boulders and carvings of gods and elephants. It would have been a lot more interesting if we weren't being stalked by this boy and older man who were giving us a "tour" we repeatedly told them we didn't want but also trying to sell us things at the same time. It was really cool to find out that when the tsunami hit it actually uncovered areas that they couldn't afford to excavate and ultimately they discovered some caves and artifacts, etc. But the day was so long and hot that I kept falling asleep in the car and our driver (yes we have a driver everywhere we go it took a little while to get used to it) would try to get us to stop and shop places where he gets a commission for bringing people. Anyway the next day I go to the immigration office to register my time in India and I get really really sick. Turns out I'm dehydrated from the day before so I have basically been sleeping for about 18 hours every day these past few days. But I feel much better now and I am actually getting used to spicy food! Miraculously I am starting to be ok with my mouth being on fire at all times. Anyway, here are some pictures--not too recent but as I said my camera wasn't cooperating. I'll post more relevant pictures when I am able to steal them. 

1 comment:

sarah said...

this is not a place for advertising martin! whoever you are.